Simple Tips to Prevent Falls:
- Remove clutter and tripping hazards. Remove anything that may cause you to trip – throw rugs, cords or cables, boxes, newspapers, spilled liquids etc.
- Install grab bars and handrails. This is especially important on stairs and in bathrooms.
- Ensure adequate lighting. Brighter light bulbs will help as well as night-lights for better visibility at night.
- Wear stable footwear. Ensure that shoes, socks or slippers have non-slip soles.
- Be observant of your surroundings and slow down if necessary.
- Medication review. Make an appointment with your doctor or pharmacist to be sure your medications are not increasing your risk of falling.
- Keep moving. Physical activity approved by your doctor will reduce the risk of falls by improving strength, balance, coordination and flexibility.
The Barrie and Community Family Health Team offers a Bone Health & Fracture Prevention Information Session that covers topics including:
- Osteoporosis – What is it?
- Increased Risk of Fracture
- Nutrition and Diet
- Medications and Supplements
- Goal Setting and Self Management
Click the Info Sessions tab above, then Bone Health to learn more about how this class can help reduce your risk of falling.