The Barrie and Community Family Health Team (BCFHT) recognizes breastfeeding as one of the most effective ways to promote good health and prevent illness or chronic disease of children worldwide. It is an integral part of the reproductive process, with important implications for both the parent and infant (WHO, 2018).
“Breastfeeding is recognized as the unequalled way to provide optimal nutritional, immunological and emotional nurturing of infants.” Health Canada, 2021.
Breastfeeding has to be learned and many parents encounter difficulties at the beginning. The BCFHT is committed to providing family-centered support as recommended by Health Canada (2021) for parents working towards their breastfeeding goals.
A substantial amount of research has led to the recognition of the enormous short-term and long-term health benefits breastfeeding provides for both parent and baby. Some of these benefits include:
For the baby:
- Contains exact nutritional requirements suited for the baby’s needs
- Protection against infections, such as colds, ear infections, gastroenteritis, etc. (as it contains antibodies transferred from the mother)
- Reduced risk of allergic conditions, such as asthma and eczema
- Reduced risk of serious chronic illnesses, such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity
- Reduced risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- Improved Cognitive Ability (breast milk has long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids, which are essential for helping the baby’s brain develop)
For the Mother:
- Helps prevent post-partum hemorrhage.
- Aids weight loss post-partum.
- Reduces risk of breast cancer, ovarian cancer and endometrial cancer (long-term).
- Decreases chances of osteoporosis (long-term).
- Promotes bonding and attachment between mother and baby.
- Potential cost savings to the family.
- No washing, sterilizing, or preparation required.
- Reduces carbon footprint and no waste for the environment.
Who We Are
Breastfeeding Services at the BCFHT began in October 2010 in response to a need for additional local breastfeeding services and are available to ALL childbearing families in our community.
Breastfeeding support is provided by an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC). A Lactation Consultant is a knowledgeable and experienced member of the health care team who has specialized skills in breastfeeding management and care. Lactation Consultants must pass a rigorous examination process that demonstrates their ability to provide competent, comprehensive care. Lactation Consultants are expected to continue their professional development and recertify every 5 years.
Breastfeeding Services Overview
The BCFHT Lactation Consultant will strive to promote, protect and support breastfeeding in our community in the following ways:
- Offer breastfeeding support (1:1 appointments) to ALL childbearing families in our community.
- Collaborate with other BCFHT Team Members, including BCFHT Family Practice Office Staff, as needed.
- Link with community partners, as appropriate.
The breastfeeding service provided by the Lactation Consultant will assist you to reach your breastfeeding goals, whatever they are. Breastfeeding plans are personalized for each parent and baby. Parents are encouraged to book an appointment early, especially if experiencing problems.
Please call 705 721-0370 x4 to book an appointment. Individual breastfeeding appointments with a Lactation Consultant are available Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 8:30 am – 3:00 pm at the Prenatal Well Baby Clinic, located at 370 Bayview Drive, 3rd Floor.
Some things that may be reviewed during a 1:1 appointment with the Lactation Consultant include:
- Helping you understand and ensure your baby is breastfeeding well.
- Teaching you strategies to protect/promote your milk production.
- Creating a personalized plan to manage your breastfeeding challenges.
- Breastfeeding will be observed during your visit, so please come prepared for this.
- If supplements are a regular part of your baby’s feeding plan, please bring your expressed breastmilk or formula.
If you have urgent breastfeeding concerns and cannot make an appointment, call Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000 (24 hour access)
Hospital-Grade Breast Pump Rentals Available At:
- Primary Care Guardian Pharmacy | 370 Bayview Drive. Barrie | 705 735-4500
- Procare Pharmacy | 125 Bell Farm Road, Barrie | 705 722-7474
- Shoppers Home Health Care | 524 Bayfield Street N, Barrie | 705 722-6336
- Independent Seller/Renter for Medela – Pam Peca, IBCLC | 705 734-4544
For clients unable to access the clinic, the following websites with information and videos may be helpful:
Information about compatibility of a medication with breastfeeding:
Breastfeeding Safely during COVID-19:
- Chigamik Community Health Centre Breastfeeding and Post Partum Clinic – https://www.chigamik.ca/your-health/breastfeeding-postpartum-clinic/
- Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit – https://www.simcoemuskokahealth.org/Topics/PregnancyandBefore/communityservices.aspx.
Join a Session
There are currently no scheduled sessions. Please check back again or contact us by phone or email.