School Success Program
Looking To Book Your Appointment?
You can now book select programs online through our online booking system.
Please follow the link below to book a spot.
What is the School Success Program?
The Barrie & Community Family Health Team’s School Success Program assesses and supports elementary school students and their families who are struggling at school. We are a consultative program offering short-term support and guidance. Paediatrician consults occur with an emphasis on returning ongoing care and management, including prescribing of recommended medications, to the Primary Care Physician or Nurse Practitioner.
Who is the program for?
A student may be connected to the School Success Program if they are:
- An elementary school student in Barrie; AND
- Have a primary care provider (family physician or nurse practitioner); AND
- Are experiencing a physical or mental health challenge that is impacting their success at school. This includes: learning, development, social, emotional & behavioural issues.
Who make up the School Success Team?
Our team currently includes an administrative assistant, two nurses, a social worker, an occupational therapist and 5 consulting paediatricians. We work in partnership with the student and their family, the student’s primary care provider and the school to collect the information we need to fully understand where the challenges exist, and how to best meet the needs of the student. We will help the family navigate available community resources in the school and community.
How do I access the program?
Connecting with the School Success Program can be initiated by the student’s school or the primary care provider. If the student’s primary care provider thinks that they would benefit from our direct assessment and services, he or she will refer for:
- Paediatric Consult AND/OR
- Supportive Counselling, including short term individual/family/parent/group work as appropriate with our social worker or occupational therapist
Is there a cost for the service?
No, this service if funded by The Ministry of Health and Long Term Care through the Barrie & Community Family Health Team.
Our contact information
School Success Program
Main phone: 705-721-0370 ext. 3
- Heather (Admin) ext. 2501
- Christine (Nurse) ext. 3003 / Brittany (Nurse) ext. 2306
- Kendra (Psychotherapist) ext. 2802
- Jenny (Occupational Therapist) ext. 2808
370 Bayview Dr, 3rd Floor
Barrie, ON L4N 7L3